Summer Safety Supplements
Summer Safety Supplements
Sunlight is good for you, but you still need protection!
I don’t know about you, but I am thrilled that it is finally sunny and warm! (Well, maybe not today…) However, I have to be very careful because I have the skin-tone of a vampire and burn like one too!
But I used to not burn so easily. What changed?
I used to think it was the ozone layer depletion (remember that?), but it turns out that the UN estimates that we are on track to have the ozone layer completely healed by 2030!
Turns out, it is more diet related! And I had no idea until I really started learning more about the Standard Process product line a few years ago. I learned a little about the mechanisms involved when I was getting my nutrition degree, but the full picture was never in focus.
How sunlight affects your body
So when your skin is exposed to sunlight, your body creates Vitamin D3 (also known as cholecalciferol). Vitamin D3 is needed for many things in your body, including your immune system.
[Quick aside – vitamin D2 or ergocalciferol is the version found in most supplements and foods. In high quantities, it is actually toxic. What you want is D3.]
One of Vitamin D’s other important jobs is to pick up calcium from your gut and put it into your blood. Then “Vitamin F” (aka essential polyunsaturated fatty acids or PUFAs) can transport that calcium in the blood into your tissues, like your bones and muscles.
The problem is that many people are deficient in Vitamin F because they consume a high carb, low fat diet (also known as the Standard American Diet or SAD). So, when they get exposed to the sun, they do not have enough Vitamin F to move the calcium into the tissues so it is stuck in the blood, causing a relative tissue calcium deficiency – also known as sunstroke.
And because the Vitamin D cannot do its job properly, you can end up with excessive amounts of it, which is called hypervitaminosis D. If you continue to get excessively large doses of vitamin D, you can eventually end up with skin cancer.
So, what can you do about it?
1. Eat more healthy polyunsaturated fatty acids such as walnuts, fish, flax seeds or oil.
2. Wear non-toxic, mineral sunscreen when outside. (Avoid chemical sunscreens as the chemicals are bad for your health and the earth.)
3. Take regular water and shade breaks from the sun.
4. Consider taking some supplements.
As always, talk to your doctor before taking vitamin and mineral supplements.
If you are interested in supplementing with Vitamin F, our go-to product is Cataplex F from Standard Process. It is a high-quality source of essential polyunsaturated fatty acids. The dosing of Cataplex F is variable, so consult with your doctor about what is right for you. (Dr. Pulley is accepting new patients!) People with fairer skin need to take more than those with darker complexions. It is best to take it before sun exposure to avoid getting burned, but if you get burned, you can take some and heal faster!
Some people actually need more calcium – the best form is ionizable calcium. Other forms that are not ionizable are typically not absorbed very well by your body. Our recommended form is Calcium Lactate.
If you would like to schedule an initial appointment with Dr. Pulley, just call 978-237-5106 to get started today!
– Ozone on track to heal completely in our lifetime, UN environment agency declares on World Day. UN News (United Nations). 16 September 2019. https://news.un.org/en/story/2019/09/1046452
– Vitamin D. Mayo Clinic. 2/6/2021. https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements-vitamin-d/art-20363792
– What is vitamin D toxicity? Should I be worried about taking supplements? Answer by Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D. 3/22/2022. https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/vitamin-d-toxicity/faq-20058108
– Facts About Polyunsaturated Fats. Medline Plus, NIH, National Library of Medicine. 5/26/2020. https://medlineplus.gov/ency/patientinstructions/000747.htm
– Mineral Vs. Chemical Sunscreen: Which Is Best? By Jessica Brown. 8/24/2021. https://www.wederm.com/2021/08/24/mineral-vs-chemical-sunscreen-which-is-best/
– Cataplex F. https://pulleychiropractic.standardprocess.com/products/cataplex-f-tablets
– Calcium Lactate. https://pulleychiropractic.standardprocess.com/products/calcium-lactate